Monday, May 16, 2005

The Girls Are Back In Town!!

2 whole months and, yep, already planning an escape...but until then, I'm having a blast and will continue to do so - what else is there to do?!

It's been a fab 2 months with my amazing friends doing what they do best and showing me a good time :o)

Joyous' 30th and the first trip out of London

Two days back in London and I made my way outta there...all the way to Northumberland for an awesome celebration - the lovely and completely incorrigible Joyous was turning 30. Also the chance to catch up with Jameson, Dawnie and Pedro, Mickalodeon and Tash, Glennys and his wife Jan, Livvy and to meet Joyous' family. We visited old english castles, ran into the northern seas (this is more impressive than it sounds - it was fucking freezing!), breathed in all that fresh air in the countryside, saw some sheep, had tea in a tea shop, got driven around by Bruce the Geordie, stayed in a hotel where I kicked the habit of stealing the toilet paper, had yummy pub lunches and a birthday bash to beat them all. Mr and Mrs Campbell rocked and we ended the wkend in Newcastle with an amazing view of the Gateshead Millenium Bridge and an art exhibition - we're a cultured lot! How about this for a show title - For every minute you spend being angry is 60 seconds you could have been happy. Deep. The weekend was 259, 200 seconds of pure bliss!

Shoreditch glitz with Mr Showbiz

Back in the East End and drinks with Candice, Franny and Sunshine Sunny for Mr Showbiz's bday - aka Iffy, Rosie and if you're a fit guy, whatever you want to call him. He's lovely and when he does his next show - me and my digicam will be on hand to show the world exactly why we call him Mr Showbiz. We had drinks at their fave new shoreditch hang out - The Old Blue Last and then spent the night boogying away at Gerry's Place. All very Hoxtonite, I felt like an infiltrator on a music video! Iffy had a brill time and was just lovely to be catching up and partying with friends and making new ones! Iffy's mate, Alice, taught us some new dance moves...you'll have to invite us out for a glitzy night out if you wanna check 'em out - and how could you not when they're called 'The Sprinkler' and 'Doin' My Hair'!!

113 Chancery Lane

Second week at home, me and Missy G ventured into 113 Chancery Lane - The Law Society. We met up with Otter, Rebecca and Aisling for Nigel's leaving do (meaning free sausage rolls and champagne - ah, life at the Law Society!). So strange to be back at the Law Soc - though, glad it was to see friends! We met up with a few more Law Soc peeps at Simon (aka Bozza)'s bday. Mr T, Wattsey and Bozza on good form as always!

A tourist in London

Still unemployed and unable to face the job papers, I spent a day with Pauline - we went on a boat cruise from Westminster to Greenwich with very amusing commentary - I believe 100% that the british sense of humour is the funniest and London looked beautiful in the sunshine. I fully recommend going on a Thames River Cruise!

Other London faves I've revisited - Spitalfields, Brick Lane, Regents Park, Ash's place and Roman Road, Brixton for a night out with Missy G, her mum (who now has a hardcore wolf tatoo on her right boob), Nicole and Mitra, and new London fave - Portobello Road Market! There with Mickalodeon, Tash and Jameson for posh brunch and a stroll in the market (have spotted some beautiful sandals I need to go back there for!).

The not so Secret Sundaze and the Secret Place

You know the summer's coming...the secret sundaze was back! What is Secret Sundaze? A big party in the sunshine starting at 11am and ending in the early hours of Monday - playing funky house, break beats and whatever the hell dance music is called nowadays (er...how old do I sound?!). Perfect as it was Sunny's bday. Unfortunately, the not so clever people in charge of it decided to unleash the secret in Timeout - which meant there were ridiculously long queues that we couldn't be asked to queue up for. It's just not one of the better british past times! Instead, we hopped in a cab (care of a guy whose name I can't remember but he'd been high and partying for 72 hours non-stop) and found the Secret Place in Lea Valley. More of a arty hippy commune serving cakes and peppermint tea along with your favorite spirits and beer. It's one of those places you'd love to stumble upon as a traveller - great vibe and live music to boot!

Operation Karaoke...but I ain't singing

It was a mission impossible but, for Olivia Lo, failure was not an option. Weeks of organisation and excuse after excuse and then, the date was set and followed by this email:

For the record, ladies and gentleman, please remove all thoughts about cold feet or any other cold appendages with regard to the evening of 5 May.

There will be no cancellations. There will be no double booking. There will be no sickness. The only acceptable excuse would be the one given to me last week by the Chief Executive of BP, Lord Browne, who couldn't come to our event because he had to go and see Mr Putin of Russia to discuss a major tax problem involving billions of pounds.

I might be persuaded to consider an excuse of similar proportions. But nothing less. You would all be a lot better off focussing on venues to meet beforehand and possibly places to eat. Or perhaps planning out a play list, a couple of songs you know you can sing along to alongside all the usual crowd pleasers. I know we've got a mixed group in that not everyone knows each other, but in some ways thats easier. Come on people work with me, I've even timetabled alcohol time to make it ... mmmm ... more accessible.

This is starting to become a bit of an obsession for me and I'm finding myself beginning to measure myself against my ability to organise a karaoke night... I shall prevail...'though it take me 'til the end of my days..Really looking forward to it,

Don't even think about cancelling,

Lots of Love
Olivia

We didn't fail her. Actually, pretty much everyone accepted their fate of having to come along to karaoke but on the condition that they wouldn't sing. In the end, you couldn't shut us up. It was great! There was Mick's BEP impression, Carly the diva, Heidi walking on sunshine and Joy going all mushy over Robbie Williams and, goddammit, we rocked the place (albeit with the most god awful noise you'll ever hear). R-E-S-P-E-C-T.

Millie's bday

May 15 - my sister Millie's bday. We celebrated in style dancing to R&B in Pop and had chinese in Mile End. After missing them on my bday and missing my sister Chrissie's bday, it was lovely being back for this one and celebrating with all her friends and tasting some new cocktails - there was a kiwi one I loved and the raspberry honey sour wasn't half bad either!

Reminiscing with friends and some scrumptious food in Ilford

Carly, me and Mitra cooked up a storm (no, I haven't miraculously turned into a masterchef - Carly co-ordinated it all and Mitra just is a good cook). The menu included tandoori chicken - made with greek yoghurt even though, as Mitra pointed out, there were no greeks in India when they created it, humous & tomato dip, potato cakes, sausages, lunamouse jelly (so-called because the main ingredients make up my fave drink - vodka and cranberry juice) and banoffee fools made by my fair hands - and if you came and wondered why there weren't enough, I swear it had absolutely nothing to do with me chowing down half the ingredients while making them...honest ;o)

As for the pic showing - it was fabulous having all our friends around to see what we'd been up to. And especially nice that Alex, who we met on the Kiwi bus managed to make it too ;o)



No comments: