Sunday, July 03, 2005

A tFN day off and the domestic goddess...(enlighten me and just pretend)

I'm temping at a lovely charity called the Fostering Network at the moment (you know they've got be lovely, their logo is an smiley flower!) which means I get an extra day off after the bank holiday. Ahh...life when you don't have to go to work. I loved it. The next day was my youngest sister's birthday - Goldene - so I figured I'd bake her a cake. (by the way, her birthday's June the 1st )

My baking skills are seen very rarely and usually involve having someone tell me what to do. Actually, I'm great in the kitchen when someone's telling me what I have to do. On my own?? That's just not a good idea. But it was Goldene's 21st birthday (oh my god, how much do I want to call her by the nickname I give her. I'm still contemplating whether or not it's worth my life...but best not....she just about accepts that I call her it when not in public, I think the WWW will be a step too far! Anyway, I decided on baking her a purple butterfly cake - purple as that's her favorite colour and a butterfly coz I thought it would be suitably messy and fun.

First I forgot to make the cake purple, then I forgot to make enough cake so had to repeat the procedure (involving several outings to the shop as I kept forgetting ingredients, shaping the butterfly felt like I was building a house, I ran out of icing and I gave up trying to place the metallic coloured sugar balls in some kind of decorative pattern in favour of just pouring the whole lot over the cake (there is still the odd ball rolling around the dining room floor). Domestic Goddess I ain't but I don't think I did too badly...

It was even edible!



No comments: