Friday, June 04, 2010

Ohhh...it's meant to be a WORKING holiday!


Toronto (25), originally uploaded by LunaModule.

Man, what's that about?!  I have to keep reminding myself that as well as trying to live in another country, I'm also s'posed to be working to save up money for more travels around the rest of the Americas...  It's quite the struggle because the more I learn about Canada, the more I want to explore it ;o) 

This is all grand except that travelling Canada takes quite some time just to work out the logistics (esp when you're on a budget) nevermind actually doing the travelling.  Moreover, agh, I remember I'm meant to be working and saving for further travels!  As well as really trying to 'live' somewhere - which is tricky to do if you're moving around lots...

Anyway, that was quite a big preamble to the fact that whilst in TO, I have also managed to get some work, hurrah!  Admittedly, after a couple of weeks of job hunting looking at craigs list (gumtree for canada), signing up to 3 recruitment agencies and doing about 5 hours of IT testing, my immediate reaction to finding I'd got some temp work was to be gutted!  haha, I know, I should be pleased and I am really - just loved not having to think about work for so long. Anyway, having been in post now for 3 weeks, I can't complain.  It's good work doing passenger outreach for GO, one of the transport companies for the GTA (Greater Toronto Area).  Considering I was willing to be paid minimum wage, I managed to be appointed a team leader and get paid a bit more than that.  We're basically 'reaching out' to customers using GO to provide info and answer their questions on the new electronic fare system being introduced (like Oyster cards).  Our shift is 6am to 1pm - yikes! Still, it means I can make the most of the rest of my day ;o)

I have also had to do some shopping for work clothes... After one of the recruitment consultant's complimented on how cool and colourful I looked, she politely asked if I had more 'corporate' wear - I said I'd go shopping.

The people I work with are cool and a good laugh - which makes it easier being friendly to passengers at silly o'clock!  Does however mean that my ambitions to be a cow girl/waitress/ice road trucker will have to wait a little longer.... (hell, one plus is that I'm not actually sat in an office in front of a PC all day!).  Photo above is Union Station in the early morning light.  Sometimes it can be a little quiet but I'm enjoying chatting to people and doing lots and lots of people watching.  Lunchtimes are pretty chilled too - reading and soaking up the sunshine by the harbour ;o)

No comments: