Monday, January 17, 2005

Where are you from?

Many, many, oh so very many coversations along the lines of this:

Where are you from?

England

Oh, you look like a khmer

Nope, I'm from the Philippines. I don't look Khmer, you look filipino!

(to missy G) You're philippine too?

(missy G) No, I'm english-african

(to missy G) Oh, you look indian.

Have also been told I should pretend to be khmer so I only pay khmer prices rather than the tourist ones. Now, all sounds well and good and great for the ol' bank balance but have you seen me lie in english nevermind in khmer! I could pretend to be mute but it's that goddamn cheesy grin of mine. Just gives the game away.

Important question now is: do I look Vietnamese???

(We've LOVED being alternative tourists...it's strange really, we're more exotic in Cambodia than all the other tourists!)

Have also had a brit ask me if I'm from Devon. Seriously, I've spent a total of 4 days in the west country, I don't know why I sound like a carrot cruncher.

No comments: